Exemplifying the town’s colonial flair, Amherst’s centerpiece is the Village Green.
Visitors strolling past beautiful colonial-era homes and the magnificent town center, can feel the town’s deep sense of history. One of only two towns in the country listed in its entirety as a Historic District, Amherst exemplifies late 18th- and early 19th-century architecture and charm.
The homes of Amherst signify appreciation for the heritage of the town, a heritage that goes back to its early days as a Narragansett township. At that time, land was granted by the state of Massachusetts for service rendered in the Narragansett wars. From this grant, Amherst began as part of Dunstable, Massachusetts, then became Dunstable, New Hampshire, and finally Amherst.
Samuel Lams on and Samuel Walk-on first settled the area in 1736. In 1741, when the land tract became a part of New Hampshire, Amherst already had 14 families and a saw mill. A vote to build a meetinghouse was required by state for town incorporation. In 1760, Amherst a: incorporated, taking its name from General Jeffrey Amherst, commander of the North American British Forces.
Amherst was the first seat of Hillsborough County, so named when the counties were formed in 1769. The county seat until 1864, Amherst was the center of activity for most of southern New Hampshire.
Horace Greeley, the famous anti-slavery editor of the “New York Tribune” was born in Amherst, Daniel Webster argued his first case in the local courthouse, and in 1834 President Franklin Pierce married an Amherst woman in a home adjoining the Village Green.
The “Farmer’s Cabinet,” predecessor of the weekly “Milford Cabinet,” was founded in 1802, one of several newspapers that once circulated in town, including the “Unitarian Controversy.” Always an independent-minded place, about 80 Amherst men fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill, and 27 died during the Civil War.
Amherst remained an agricultural area, while towns closer to surrounding rivers and railroads grew up around it. Today, businesses abound, primarily along the Route 101A corridor in the southern part of town, providing goods and services to the entire area. Still mainly residential, the two biggest employers in Amherst are H&M Metals and Wal-Mart.
Recreational facilities include several golf courses, tennis courts, and an outdoor skating rink. Baboosic Lake is available for swimming, boating, and fishing, while the 375-acre Joe English Reservation is a favorite for hiking and cross-country skiing. Annual local festivities include the annual lighting of the Christmas tree on the Village Green, the Fourth of July Parade, and the Amherst Antique Show and Sale in September.
While home prices here are higher, the town supports an excellent educational system, which includes the award-winning Souhegan High School.
There are no schools near by this property.